twoodcc
Sep 4, 12:34 PM
So far I have yet to see an official confirmation from a reputable (read "not-rumour") web site.
The "confirmations" flying around all seem to be the rumour sites referencing each other.
Until I see iLounge or MacWorld get an invitation I won't be getting my hopes up for an secret-Apple-ninja-attack event.
whether it's the 12th, 14th, tomorrow, 17th, whatever, i just can't wait unitl Apple does something
The "confirmations" flying around all seem to be the rumour sites referencing each other.
Until I see iLounge or MacWorld get an invitation I won't be getting my hopes up for an secret-Apple-ninja-attack event.
whether it's the 12th, 14th, tomorrow, 17th, whatever, i just can't wait unitl Apple does something
Roadstar
Nov 8, 06:14 AM
Finland store still up as well, even though our neighbours in Sweden have their store down already. C'mon Finland & U.S. stores, give up! :D
Texas04
Sep 12, 05:10 PM
Nice to see coverflow in there although I do agree that it looked better before.
And is it just me or is it slower?
Yeah is yours slow when you are in the 3rd view tith all the albums on the top? The Music seems to be moving fine, but the top with the album art looks like it takes a bit to load. Is this what you are talking about?
And is it just me or is it slower?
Yeah is yours slow when you are in the 3rd view tith all the albums on the top? The Music seems to be moving fine, but the top with the album art looks like it takes a bit to load. Is this what you are talking about?
Yvan256
Nov 7, 09:09 AM
Apple will never make a laptop that is that size because it would mean that they would have to take out the optical drive and make the computer ultimately worthless without a docking station. Apple will never make a computer that isn't fully capable from the start.
First of all we're in 2006. Optical-less laptops don't require a "docking station". We have FireWire and USB external drives now, nothing special is required.
Second, Apple already has a very successful product on the market that also requires a "docking station". It's called an iPod. Without a computer an iPod is useless. You can't rip things directly to it.
And third, as mentionned, we're in 2006. Honestly, the only times I use the combo drive of my Mac mini is when I play Starcraft, Diablo II, rip music CDs with iTunes or encode my DVDs to H.264/AAC with HandBrake. That's all.
I would sell my 12" Powerbook in an instant if Apple ever made a light sub-laptop. Even a 13" Macbook is too big IMO. The laptop being my second, portable computer, I want it more portable than a "desktop replacement".
That's how I see it anyway.
As for the new specs of the Macbook, if the rumors are true, then I hope we can expect the Mac mini to be updated with the exact same specs in about a month or so.
As for heat problems with such a small laptop, well, no one is forcing Apple to run the processor(s) at their full speed. An Intel Core 2 Duo that's about 25% slower would still be about 50% faster than a G4 I guess (if we take Apple's marketing numbers) but could require half as much power (better battery life, lower heat dissipation).
First of all we're in 2006. Optical-less laptops don't require a "docking station". We have FireWire and USB external drives now, nothing special is required.
Second, Apple already has a very successful product on the market that also requires a "docking station". It's called an iPod. Without a computer an iPod is useless. You can't rip things directly to it.
And third, as mentionned, we're in 2006. Honestly, the only times I use the combo drive of my Mac mini is when I play Starcraft, Diablo II, rip music CDs with iTunes or encode my DVDs to H.264/AAC with HandBrake. That's all.
I would sell my 12" Powerbook in an instant if Apple ever made a light sub-laptop. Even a 13" Macbook is too big IMO. The laptop being my second, portable computer, I want it more portable than a "desktop replacement".
That's how I see it anyway.
As for the new specs of the Macbook, if the rumors are true, then I hope we can expect the Mac mini to be updated with the exact same specs in about a month or so.
As for heat problems with such a small laptop, well, no one is forcing Apple to run the processor(s) at their full speed. An Intel Core 2 Duo that's about 25% slower would still be about 50% faster than a G4 I guess (if we take Apple's marketing numbers) but could require half as much power (better battery life, lower heat dissipation).
gonnabuyamacbsh
Apr 14, 10:04 AM
My heart belongs to thinkpads :p
love iphones, itouches, and ipads though
Seriously though, not surprising at all considering that Macs (along with Thinkpads) are the best in the industry and people clearly know it.
I wonder if after a certain period of time and after enough market share is gained, viruses and malaware will start attacking mac os...
love iphones, itouches, and ipads though
Seriously though, not surprising at all considering that Macs (along with Thinkpads) are the best in the industry and people clearly know it.
I wonder if after a certain period of time and after enough market share is gained, viruses and malaware will start attacking mac os...
Jarbo
Nov 3, 08:24 AM
Developers aren't the problem. A lot of it is Internet Explorer and Microsoft not supporting standards. For one, IE doesn't do much html5. Microsoft will probably never support the svg-based "flash killer" canvas tag. Also, due to bickering on all browser makers, HTML5 doesn't specify a mandatory video format so you have Apple doing mpeg-4, Firefox and friends doing ogg, and IE supporting nothing. And let's not forget users who still run IE6.
No, LETS PLEASE forget about users running IE6. For GOD's sake, It's an 8 year old browser!
No, LETS PLEASE forget about users running IE6. For GOD's sake, It's an 8 year old browser!
INeedAMacBook
Mar 12, 11:52 AM
yes it is, they have no problems, replaced batterys n stuff and if theres even a scratch on it you can give it back
iRepublican
Sep 23, 11:16 PM
The New York Post.....hahaha
Only a bunch of idiotic liberals would believe anything that comes out of that rag.:D
Only a bunch of idiotic liberals would believe anything that comes out of that rag.:D
jobberwacky
Oct 26, 11:33 PM
Anyways, I reccomend people use this firmware instead of geting their heatsink replaced. The later option involves an ugly screw in the middle of your macbook.
Not only that. It will also make your keyboard turn pink and on a moonless night the Combo drive will start to play "La Cucaracha".
Not only that. It will also make your keyboard turn pink and on a moonless night the Combo drive will start to play "La Cucaracha".

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 11, 06:28 AM
If they had any talent to begin with, they'd be making enough money with the tool where the cost of it would be meaningless anyway. ;)
Your logic is flawed, kid. You need the right tools, BEFORE you can make money with them.
Your logic is flawed, kid. You need the right tools, BEFORE you can make money with them.
Quilentro
Aug 24, 03:34 PM
I switched to apple so I wouldn't have problems with customer support. This is ridiculous. The website is completely screwed up (Apple admits this) because of the hits from the battery issue. And the worst part is, the battery isn't my problem.
Sure, I have a defective macbook pro battery, but when I sent it in for repair on the 4th, it was for dark spots on the screen and some other random issues. They told me it would be fixed in a couple days. It's been gone for weeks, and after talking to people on the phone for hours, they finally told me that they weren't sure what was going on, but that they think it's fixed, and that it is just being tested (even though the site, when it was working days ago, said it had been repaired and was pending shipping on the 19th.) But they can't tell me when it will be back, and that it might take another week. I'm moving in a matter of days, and was told this should be a quick fix. This is really, really obnoxious. And all they can say is "sorry." At what point do they offer me a concession? At what point can the consumer say forget it, this computer is only a couple months old, give me a brand new one off the store floor. Ridiculous. I have more complaints, back my extreme irritation at the situation prevents me from launching a cogent argument.
I sincerely hope everyone else is having a much better experience than I/
- Quil
Sure, I have a defective macbook pro battery, but when I sent it in for repair on the 4th, it was for dark spots on the screen and some other random issues. They told me it would be fixed in a couple days. It's been gone for weeks, and after talking to people on the phone for hours, they finally told me that they weren't sure what was going on, but that they think it's fixed, and that it is just being tested (even though the site, when it was working days ago, said it had been repaired and was pending shipping on the 19th.) But they can't tell me when it will be back, and that it might take another week. I'm moving in a matter of days, and was told this should be a quick fix. This is really, really obnoxious. And all they can say is "sorry." At what point do they offer me a concession? At what point can the consumer say forget it, this computer is only a couple months old, give me a brand new one off the store floor. Ridiculous. I have more complaints, back my extreme irritation at the situation prevents me from launching a cogent argument.
I sincerely hope everyone else is having a much better experience than I/
- Quil
roadbloc
May 5, 05:50 AM
For the sweet love of God Apple.... NO! I HATE 3D!
Hunabku
Apr 13, 05:08 PM
Currently the Mac App Store has no way of offering an upgrade to existing Mac software. I don't see that changing.
I suspect that all these apps will be stripped of their sample media. They're all quite small without them. Perhaps Apple will sell those files separately on their own on DVDs?
Because you made a post that claimed our editing skills have nothing to do with creativiy or experience, but simply that 'knowing the software' is the only advangate we have.
Telling people that they're useless at their jobs is gonna make people bitter.
I don't feel pissy about this, but you basically told me that I really should be because I'm actually useless and only Final Cut's complexity has been making me appear smart, when in fact I was not.
Boy you are taking his post quite personally. I think you will find it true in many ways - not just NLEs - that people like to defend what worked for them before in the light of something fundamentally new and different.
We see these kinds of people come out of the woodwork whenever apple releases something groundbreaking. Not that you are one of them - at least you don't seem to be.
I suspect that all these apps will be stripped of their sample media. They're all quite small without them. Perhaps Apple will sell those files separately on their own on DVDs?
Because you made a post that claimed our editing skills have nothing to do with creativiy or experience, but simply that 'knowing the software' is the only advangate we have.
Telling people that they're useless at their jobs is gonna make people bitter.
I don't feel pissy about this, but you basically told me that I really should be because I'm actually useless and only Final Cut's complexity has been making me appear smart, when in fact I was not.
Boy you are taking his post quite personally. I think you will find it true in many ways - not just NLEs - that people like to defend what worked for them before in the light of something fundamentally new and different.
We see these kinds of people come out of the woodwork whenever apple releases something groundbreaking. Not that you are one of them - at least you don't seem to be.

MrSmith
Mar 28, 12:18 PM
I'm not american. Am I meant to know what RadioaShack is?

wizard
Mar 11, 03:27 PM
finally! I'm waiting to hand my money over for a mac pro, but this is good too. It'd be nice if Apple still saw the Mac as its primary business, but we can't all have what we want..
This attitude is crap! The chips suitable for these machine have barely been on the market and you seem to think it justifies throwing that attitude around. It isn't just Intel either as Apple has to implement a new GPU plan and get all of the new OS components working.
It is far better for the user that Apple takes it's time here to do the system right. Further I suspect part of the hold up is the next release of Snow Leopard an update everybody will want. You do want SL to improve in a positive manner don't you?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
As an aside I've seen a few posts already from people crying about recently purchased MBPs and the expected soon update. Either get with it or shut up folks. It is not a mystery that a new generation of MBPs are coming. Thus the implication that you really needed those new machines, so these new machines really mean nothing. Otherwise you spent your money on a lark and deserve the frustration you have.
In any event I'm kinda interested in what the Mini might turn into. With the desktops so far ahead of this machine again there is plenty of room for a very significant update. They could turn that optical free model into one hot box with the right chipset.
Dave
This attitude is crap! The chips suitable for these machine have barely been on the market and you seem to think it justifies throwing that attitude around. It isn't just Intel either as Apple has to implement a new GPU plan and get all of the new OS components working.
It is far better for the user that Apple takes it's time here to do the system right. Further I suspect part of the hold up is the next release of Snow Leopard an update everybody will want. You do want SL to improve in a positive manner don't you?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
As an aside I've seen a few posts already from people crying about recently purchased MBPs and the expected soon update. Either get with it or shut up folks. It is not a mystery that a new generation of MBPs are coming. Thus the implication that you really needed those new machines, so these new machines really mean nothing. Otherwise you spent your money on a lark and deserve the frustration you have.
In any event I'm kinda interested in what the Mini might turn into. With the desktops so far ahead of this machine again there is plenty of room for a very significant update. They could turn that optical free model into one hot box with the right chipset.
Dave

marmotmammal
Apr 13, 10:24 PM
Where's that Adobe rep who was on the FCP threads a few days ago promoting Premiere? Oh, he's with Bruce Sharp talking about buying Singular Software?
I will not buy PluralEyes. Audio sync is built into FCP X.
I will not buy PluralEyes. Audio sync is built into FCP X.
norwaypianoman
Mar 21, 02:16 PM
:eek: Wow. I must find myself a wife, so that she can say no.
GFLPraxis
Aug 3, 07:54 PM
The fact that the 64-bit logo is next to the iMac makes me think Core 2 Duo.
I'm hoping for Conroe, despite iGary's insistence that it won't happen. A 2.16 GHz Conroe is $70 cheaper than the current 1.83 GHz Yonah and the 2 GHz Merom, saving Apple quite a bit of money. The thermal requirements fit the iMac G5's design, and the only hurdle would be the power requirements- Apple would probably need to slightly upgrade the power supply. It's still be a net gain profit-wise. And the performance difference is significant.
I'm hoping for Conroe, despite iGary's insistence that it won't happen. A 2.16 GHz Conroe is $70 cheaper than the current 1.83 GHz Yonah and the 2 GHz Merom, saving Apple quite a bit of money. The thermal requirements fit the iMac G5's design, and the only hurdle would be the power requirements- Apple would probably need to slightly upgrade the power supply. It's still be a net gain profit-wise. And the performance difference is significant.
mattwolfmatt
Mar 28, 01:26 PM
Because getting your iToy within eye sight of a 300 Lb round-belly hillbilly or 400 Lb woman in pink stretch pants and camel toe does not make for the best experience.
Uh, news flash, they still let those people in Apple Stores, too. Last I checked, this WAS America.
Uh, news flash, they still let those people in Apple Stores, too. Last I checked, this WAS America.
PinkMac
Mar 15, 01:44 AM
I don't know what to doooo!
Should I buy the current MBP or wait for the new one.... :(
Help!!!!! :confused:
Should I buy the current MBP or wait for the new one.... :(
Help!!!!! :confused:
anewman143
Mar 11, 10:09 AM
Here's my addition today - a fisherman on Pound Lake in Virginia. Something about the fog coming off the lake but seeing his cast worked great for me that morning - 5 minutes later and I would have missed it...
Comments welcome...
Comments welcome...
arkitect
Apr 4, 11:49 AM
Do atheists need their own bible?
In the beginning was the word and the word was... good? Four hundred years after the publication of the King James Bible, philosopher AC Grayling has written a book which offers atheists a "bible" of their very own.
In The Good Book, Professor Grayling attempts to whisk together in one tome the wisdom of Ancient Greek philosophers, Confucian sages, medieval poets and the discoveries of modern science.
Without any reference to gods, souls or afterlives, it aims to give atheists a book of inspiration and guidance as they make their way in the world.
In place of the more well-known Ten Commandments, his atheist principles are: "Love well, seek the good in all things, harm no others, think for yourself, take responsibility, respect nature, do your utmost, be informed, be kind, be courageous."
BBC link� (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9446000/9446028.stm)
If I buy a copy it'll be more out of curiousity than any inner need to find meaning and guidance.
Perhaps it'll just be a potted guide to world philosophy with some science thrown in � Bertrand Russell teaming up with Carl Sagan? ;)
Do we atheists need our own "Good Book"?
In the beginning was the word and the word was... good? Four hundred years after the publication of the King James Bible, philosopher AC Grayling has written a book which offers atheists a "bible" of their very own.
In The Good Book, Professor Grayling attempts to whisk together in one tome the wisdom of Ancient Greek philosophers, Confucian sages, medieval poets and the discoveries of modern science.
Without any reference to gods, souls or afterlives, it aims to give atheists a book of inspiration and guidance as they make their way in the world.
In place of the more well-known Ten Commandments, his atheist principles are: "Love well, seek the good in all things, harm no others, think for yourself, take responsibility, respect nature, do your utmost, be informed, be kind, be courageous."
BBC link� (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9446000/9446028.stm)
If I buy a copy it'll be more out of curiousity than any inner need to find meaning and guidance.
Perhaps it'll just be a potted guide to world philosophy with some science thrown in � Bertrand Russell teaming up with Carl Sagan? ;)
Do we atheists need our own "Good Book"?
mrkramer
Mar 11, 02:30 PM
To all those cutting military by huge percentages, what are your plans to deal with the millions of unemployed that would produce?
I'd move a lot of the defense spending to NASA, renewable energy, infrastructure projects, and job training. The first three can employ a lot of the engineers that are put out of work, and the job training helps the rest be prepared for new more useful jobs.
I'd move a lot of the defense spending to NASA, renewable energy, infrastructure projects, and job training. The first three can employ a lot of the engineers that are put out of work, and the job training helps the rest be prepared for new more useful jobs.
kalisphoenix
Sep 22, 02:56 PM
I am 73 years old, I live in Rogers, AR as does my daughter. My daughter is a Walmart employee! She does not have a mustache! The preceding remark is, in my opinion, unnecessary, cruel and sexist.
There is a great deal about Wal Mart to depise but none of them justify such a gatuitous attack on women, many of whom are single parents, that work hard there to support their families.:(
:( If it makes you feel any better, I slashed the tires of a guy the other day who was wearing a "I support single mothers" t-shirt with a silhouette of a stripper pole-dancing.
There is a great deal about Wal Mart to depise but none of them justify such a gatuitous attack on women, many of whom are single parents, that work hard there to support their families.:(
:( If it makes you feel any better, I slashed the tires of a guy the other day who was wearing a "I support single mothers" t-shirt with a silhouette of a stripper pole-dancing.
No comments:
Post a Comment