IronLogik
Nov 12, 11:04 AM
How will the internet start "locking down"?
This was an asinine comment by the OP that you replied to.
Joe Hewitt said that the App Store is setting a precedent that the Store for a particular handheld device needs to have a review process. Other companies are following suit. IF this process becomes more and more common then the platforms suffer due to the lack of innovative fun new pieces of software.
The Internet isn't locked down because anyone can purchase a server or rent one toss it on the internet and run custom software. You can distribute your information, you can sell your products, you can link friends together without another company telling you yes or no (like the App Store). It's open.
That's what Joe Hewitt likes about the internet. The openness. The close mindedness of the App Store is what turned him off to the development process.
And losing him is huge. He's one of the biggest developers for the platform. More people use Facebook I think than just about any third party application.
This was an asinine comment by the OP that you replied to.
Joe Hewitt said that the App Store is setting a precedent that the Store for a particular handheld device needs to have a review process. Other companies are following suit. IF this process becomes more and more common then the platforms suffer due to the lack of innovative fun new pieces of software.
The Internet isn't locked down because anyone can purchase a server or rent one toss it on the internet and run custom software. You can distribute your information, you can sell your products, you can link friends together without another company telling you yes or no (like the App Store). It's open.
That's what Joe Hewitt likes about the internet. The openness. The close mindedness of the App Store is what turned him off to the development process.
And losing him is huge. He's one of the biggest developers for the platform. More people use Facebook I think than just about any third party application.
draghelm
Sep 6, 09:20 AM
No one else noticed that the 17" "strippers" are shipping within 24 hours, with the rest within 1-2 days. That puts Apple only day or two behind the PC manufacturers shipping Meroms?
vaderhater245
Oct 11, 10:25 PM
Work on the left. Play on the right.
dillacom
Mar 25, 01:36 PM
oddly enough my ipad 2 w/vzw 3G has stuck on 100% charge for 10 minutes, normally it is clicking away immediately after I unplug the power.
gri
Mar 21, 02:53 PM
My wife said no too and this even includes my wish for one for my upcoming bday to get one.
Time to go to a lawyer - and close that joint account...
Time to go to a lawyer - and close that joint account...
rollercoasternd
Nov 2, 07:33 PM
I don't really care how inefficient Flash is or whether other web standards can already do things that Flash does, but I want to play Farmville on my iPhone and until there is Flash on the iPhone theres not FarmVille on the go :( I don't see why the end user should be punished b/c of this. Flash should be allowed and for everyone who doesn't like Flash just don't use it. I just don't see why some people not liking it should effect the other 30 million iPhone users. Maybe the web developer should have used something else to build their site, thats not my fault, but that doesn't make their sites content any less useful. We should still be able to use it.

TheMacFeed
Oct 12, 08:20 AM
My set up:
That keyboard is unique! :D
That keyboard is unique! :D
Caitlyn
Sep 4, 09:32 AM
ThinkSecret is generally dead on when it comes to things like this. So, it'd be great if they released an updated 23" iMac. I just got a 5G iPod 30GB in July and am happy with it so I don't need a new 'pod. And yes, I just got a new MacBook 2 weeks ago, but for future purchases, a 23" iMac would be neat.
RobertMartens
Apr 14, 11:19 AM
Games.
The vast majority of their sales are to less-technology/gadget-savvy users who have bought their Mac because of other people telling them that Macs are good, rather than the hardware, specs, or software on the computer.
In the end, it is all marketing... which is the case with most of Apple's products.
They have been selling PC hardware now for years at a higher price than their competitors.
Windows 7 isn't any worse (or better) than MacOS for browsing the web or checking email.....
so its not the OS that is influencing soccer moms and emo kids to buy Mac either.
It is the 'cool' factor, IMO
I like your 'games' point but not so sure about your other claims.
Did you mean that Windows buyers ARE more techno-savvy?
Or that Techno-Savvy types tend to avoid Macs?
Higher Prices for Better Machines.
Fantastic designs are not cheap. And Apple never skimps on Components
Quality Windows PCs cost about the Same as Macs but don't have iLife.
You think a Mom or kid wouldn't think the Mac OS is more attractive and easier to use?
You say "People telling them Macs are good" but are not clear why they do tell them that. Are Macs really good or is "All marketing"?
'Cool'
What does that mean? Is it just another word for 'Trendy'?
How did Macs get to be cool or trendy?
I always defined cool as 'being comfortable being yourself'
Finally, why does every switcher I meet have the same expression on their face. They all look relieved, like we have just pulled them into the life boat.
Cool may get you to buy something but it can't make you LOVE something.
So why do Mac users LOVE their machines so much?
If you own one I don't really have to explain.
The vast majority of their sales are to less-technology/gadget-savvy users who have bought their Mac because of other people telling them that Macs are good, rather than the hardware, specs, or software on the computer.
In the end, it is all marketing... which is the case with most of Apple's products.
They have been selling PC hardware now for years at a higher price than their competitors.
Windows 7 isn't any worse (or better) than MacOS for browsing the web or checking email.....
so its not the OS that is influencing soccer moms and emo kids to buy Mac either.
It is the 'cool' factor, IMO
I like your 'games' point but not so sure about your other claims.
Did you mean that Windows buyers ARE more techno-savvy?
Or that Techno-Savvy types tend to avoid Macs?
Higher Prices for Better Machines.
Fantastic designs are not cheap. And Apple never skimps on Components
Quality Windows PCs cost about the Same as Macs but don't have iLife.
You think a Mom or kid wouldn't think the Mac OS is more attractive and easier to use?
You say "People telling them Macs are good" but are not clear why they do tell them that. Are Macs really good or is "All marketing"?
'Cool'
What does that mean? Is it just another word for 'Trendy'?
How did Macs get to be cool or trendy?
I always defined cool as 'being comfortable being yourself'
Finally, why does every switcher I meet have the same expression on their face. They all look relieved, like we have just pulled them into the life boat.
Cool may get you to buy something but it can't make you LOVE something.
So why do Mac users LOVE their machines so much?
If you own one I don't really have to explain.
mdntcallr
Aug 7, 10:36 PM
Neat stuff.
thanks for putting all of this in a convienent form!! with easy links
thanks for putting all of this in a convienent form!! with easy links
macFanDave
Nov 27, 11:27 AM
"Will you still need me,
will you still feed me
when I'm sixty-four?"
Most people will probably be in the Heather Mills camp and give an enthusiastic, Hell, no!
My admiration of The Beatles has faded over time, and I suspect that I am not alone. Nevertheless, I hope that Apple can work this deal out so that those who still care can get access to their favorite music on the best device out there.
will you still feed me
when I'm sixty-four?"
Most people will probably be in the Heather Mills camp and give an enthusiastic, Hell, no!
My admiration of The Beatles has faded over time, and I suspect that I am not alone. Nevertheless, I hope that Apple can work this deal out so that those who still care can get access to their favorite music on the best device out there.
yankeex777
Mar 29, 09:01 AM
Will ATT have signifigant enough LTE coverage by then? Or would and LTE iPhone only be offered to Verizon?
Mastidon
Mar 29, 02:33 AM
You would think it was a U2 concert or something.
I have been to the past 2 WWDCs. I got 2 tickets yesterday, one for myself and one for my Director of Engineering. I debated on buying that second or holding off. Glad I didn't hold off.
I certainly understand the Keynote is the most exciting thing. Hey, I still tell people Steve Jobs yelled at me (and everybody else in the room) last year during it.
The sessions are good, but the labs are even better. Normally, Apple development support is mediocre on a good day for any of the new APIs. Sending an email only waiting for a vague response. But WWDC is something different. You can get your code reviewed and get direct answers to questions. If you are a serious developer, this show is worth te price of buying a scalped ticket. :D
I have been to the past 2 WWDCs. I got 2 tickets yesterday, one for myself and one for my Director of Engineering. I debated on buying that second or holding off. Glad I didn't hold off.
I certainly understand the Keynote is the most exciting thing. Hey, I still tell people Steve Jobs yelled at me (and everybody else in the room) last year during it.
The sessions are good, but the labs are even better. Normally, Apple development support is mediocre on a good day for any of the new APIs. Sending an email only waiting for a vague response. But WWDC is something different. You can get your code reviewed and get direct answers to questions. If you are a serious developer, this show is worth te price of buying a scalped ticket. :D
RITZFit
Apr 17, 12:19 AM
Toys R' Us? I though they only sold video games and...toys!?
Popeye206
Apr 12, 11:50 AM
If they build it from scratch, they could probably design the place with working conditions that don't make people as suicidal (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104449&referrerid=51132).
Oh please... not this again! :rolleyes:
Oh please... not this again! :rolleyes:
apolloa
Apr 2, 03:33 PM
I thought I would say why I am excited about this news. You can all say it's got nothing to do with megapixels and your right, a jump from 5 to 8 is hardly front page news worthy, all of Canons decent compacts use very nice 10 to 12 megapixel backlit sensors.
I'm excited because the Exmoor R Sony sensor has been hailed as a great device, because of it's lens and it's backlit CMOS. That's why I want it, I'm in way a professional photographer like the large majority of mobile phone owners. You want a camera on your phone that can take great pics when you have the time to frame and so on every shot, but also a device you can whip out and take very quick shots with. But you want it in a phone to save carrying another device as you always have your phone.
Because of this, moving to Sony is the best news yet as it will give users like me what I want that I think the current iPhone lacks. I would also like to see scene selections as well.
If I wanted to take care with photographs and wanted great shots every single time I would buy a beginners SLR.
And a note to Apple, considering the shake you can get holding a phone, is it really that hard to put a dedicated hardware camera button on the side? And move the flash away from the sensor and make it more powerful please?
Heres a review of the Xperia Arc's camera, and this is on early software for the phone too:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-arc-Preview_id2638/page/3
I'm excited because the Exmoor R Sony sensor has been hailed as a great device, because of it's lens and it's backlit CMOS. That's why I want it, I'm in way a professional photographer like the large majority of mobile phone owners. You want a camera on your phone that can take great pics when you have the time to frame and so on every shot, but also a device you can whip out and take very quick shots with. But you want it in a phone to save carrying another device as you always have your phone.
Because of this, moving to Sony is the best news yet as it will give users like me what I want that I think the current iPhone lacks. I would also like to see scene selections as well.
If I wanted to take care with photographs and wanted great shots every single time I would buy a beginners SLR.
And a note to Apple, considering the shake you can get holding a phone, is it really that hard to put a dedicated hardware camera button on the side? And move the flash away from the sensor and make it more powerful please?
Heres a review of the Xperia Arc's camera, and this is on early software for the phone too:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-arc-Preview_id2638/page/3
savar
Nov 27, 12:01 PM
Good for Apple...bad for consumers.
People with a Zune or any other player for that matter won't be able to download Beetles songs legally.
People with a Zune or any other player for that matter won't be able to download Beetles songs legally.
Fuchal
Mar 25, 04:55 PM
I just downloaded the update, it told me something failed and I need to restore my iPhone. I am on try 3 and it is still failing every time it tries to restore. It's giving me error code 1013. I would stay away from this update for at least a day or two until others give feedback. It doesn't seem to be that critical of an update anyways.
Same thing happened to me... I had to use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and then it was fine.
Same thing happened to me... I had to use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and then it was fine.
vartanarsen
Mar 25, 12:36 PM
I know what this is. at&m is catching up on all iPhone users using T-Mobile edge.....
Now we are screwed for sure.
Now we are screwed for sure.
wizard
Nov 7, 02:24 AM
Actually a super light notebook without an optical drive is exactly what I'm looking for! Remove that device and Apple should be able to provide a super thin machine with a relatively large & wide screen. Going a bit further they could put most of OS/X on Flash or EPROM of some sort with a small 1.8 inch drive for user data. It should be fairly easy to accomplish this under two pounds, though I would go heavier if the screen could be made 15" wide.
I'm motivated by the One Laptop per Child program. Not that I like the program but some of the concepts embodied in the laptop are very compelling. First; the laptops are solid state so no heavy fragile optical drive t worry about. Second; the idea of pervasive use of networking and the related concepts really need to be explored in a main stream OS. MacOS/X is a good platform for systems reliant upon networking. Third; a rugged machine, something the MacBooks use to accel at.
The reality is if you really need a Optical drive, that need can be easily taken care of with a USB device. When needed, it isn't something to carry around with your self constantly.
It should be reasonable to get the thickness of the machine down to about 3/4". This without an optical drive and at least part of the OS stored to Flash. The biggest items you will end up with are the processor cooling hardware and a magnetic drive for frequently accessed or user data.
Now I don't see Apple delivering this at this moment in time. It is pretty obvious that the current stock of MacBooks need a refresh. When they come though what will they be called, if they are significantly thinner they are no longer Books. Maybe the arrangement will be a folding tablet.
Dave
Apple will never make a laptop that is that size because it would mean that they would have to take out the optical drive and make the computer ultimately worthless without a docking station. Apple will never make a computer that isn't fully capable from the start.
I'm motivated by the One Laptop per Child program. Not that I like the program but some of the concepts embodied in the laptop are very compelling. First; the laptops are solid state so no heavy fragile optical drive t worry about. Second; the idea of pervasive use of networking and the related concepts really need to be explored in a main stream OS. MacOS/X is a good platform for systems reliant upon networking. Third; a rugged machine, something the MacBooks use to accel at.
The reality is if you really need a Optical drive, that need can be easily taken care of with a USB device. When needed, it isn't something to carry around with your self constantly.
It should be reasonable to get the thickness of the machine down to about 3/4". This without an optical drive and at least part of the OS stored to Flash. The biggest items you will end up with are the processor cooling hardware and a magnetic drive for frequently accessed or user data.
Now I don't see Apple delivering this at this moment in time. It is pretty obvious that the current stock of MacBooks need a refresh. When they come though what will they be called, if they are significantly thinner they are no longer Books. Maybe the arrangement will be a folding tablet.
Dave
Apple will never make a laptop that is that size because it would mean that they would have to take out the optical drive and make the computer ultimately worthless without a docking station. Apple will never make a computer that isn't fully capable from the start.
zildjansg
Oct 16, 01:31 AM
Here's my setup. Monitor on left and top are used for work. The vertical monitor is used for browsing forums.
Hi, did u use a ViBook to connect those monitors?
Hi, did u use a ViBook to connect those monitors?
elmancho
Nov 12, 02:31 PM
FFS, when will the qq stop about the app approval process, like it or leave it, no one is forcing them to develop for the iphone...
basicfiend
Jan 11, 04:41 PM
Perhaps not for that purpose, but one wonders what Apple could do with part of the 700MHz spectrum...
How decent is it for streaming video? With Slingbox rumored to be working on an iPhone and iPod Touch client, perhaps Apple is looking at streaming rentals to those devices for when you find yourself stuck in an airport because of a delayed flight. Make a great ad tie-in:
"There is something in the air, but it's not you because of snow at O'Hare. So why not catch the new episode of '(insert show name here)' while you wait for the next update at the gate?"
Apple didn't bid for the wireless spectrum. The list of bidders is public information. So they can't do anything with spectrum they don't own.
How decent is it for streaming video? With Slingbox rumored to be working on an iPhone and iPod Touch client, perhaps Apple is looking at streaming rentals to those devices for when you find yourself stuck in an airport because of a delayed flight. Make a great ad tie-in:
"There is something in the air, but it's not you because of snow at O'Hare. So why not catch the new episode of '(insert show name here)' while you wait for the next update at the gate?"
Apple didn't bid for the wireless spectrum. The list of bidders is public information. So they can't do anything with spectrum they don't own.
Tarzanman
Apr 14, 10:01 AM
PC sales are shrinking because of stagnation in the primary driving force for selling new PC hardware.
Games.
Gamers now have 4 platforms to choose from (smart phone, console, hand-held, PC), and game developers are putting LESS dollars into high end PC titles and concentrating on consoles for their premium products.
With no Diablo 3 (or whatever) to entice me with gameplay I can't find anywhere else, I have much less of a reason to play games on my PC rig, much less upgrade it.
When it comes to writing emails or checking facebook, a smart phone or tablet will do that just as well as a PC.
Macs have never been gaming machines, so they are immune from that particular effect. It is 'trendy' to have a macbook right now (seriously, go to a coffee shop and tell me what you see), and the vast majority of their sales are to less-technology/gadget-savvy users who have bought their Mac because of other people telling them that Macs are good, rather than the hardware, specs, or software on the computer.
In the end, it is all marketing... which is the case with most of Apple's products. They have been selling PC hardware now for years at a higher price than their competitors. Windows 7 isn't any worse (or better) than MacOS for browsing the web or checking email..... so its not the OS that is influencing soccer moms and emo kids to buy Mac either.
Games.
Gamers now have 4 platforms to choose from (smart phone, console, hand-held, PC), and game developers are putting LESS dollars into high end PC titles and concentrating on consoles for their premium products.
With no Diablo 3 (or whatever) to entice me with gameplay I can't find anywhere else, I have much less of a reason to play games on my PC rig, much less upgrade it.
When it comes to writing emails or checking facebook, a smart phone or tablet will do that just as well as a PC.
Macs have never been gaming machines, so they are immune from that particular effect. It is 'trendy' to have a macbook right now (seriously, go to a coffee shop and tell me what you see), and the vast majority of their sales are to less-technology/gadget-savvy users who have bought their Mac because of other people telling them that Macs are good, rather than the hardware, specs, or software on the computer.
In the end, it is all marketing... which is the case with most of Apple's products. They have been selling PC hardware now for years at a higher price than their competitors. Windows 7 isn't any worse (or better) than MacOS for browsing the web or checking email..... so its not the OS that is influencing soccer moms and emo kids to buy Mac either.
No comments:
Post a Comment