Nothlit
Mar 25, 02:51 PM
As for those people with Verizon iPhone:
I'm pretty sure Verizon got a copy of 4.3.1 and decided not to release it for their customers. It's usually up to the carrier to test and okay any OS on their network. Verizon has always been the slowest in doing so; it's probably a good thing because the OS on their phones are for the most part very solid.
Unlikely. (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/03/09/ios-43) Apple doesn't let the carriers have that kind of control.
I'm pretty sure Verizon got a copy of 4.3.1 and decided not to release it for their customers. It's usually up to the carrier to test and okay any OS on their network. Verizon has always been the slowest in doing so; it's probably a good thing because the OS on their phones are for the most part very solid.
Unlikely. (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/03/09/ios-43) Apple doesn't let the carriers have that kind of control.
paradillon
Sep 6, 08:15 AM
firewire 800 also. nice :)
ULFoaf
May 5, 08:28 AM
That is wonderfully quotable.
Interesting rumor, who knows if really true. 3D just isn't that widely accepted yet. I have enjoyed looking at some of the 3D TVs at Best Buy very much, but I wouldn't buy one!
Interesting rumor, who knows if really true. 3D just isn't that widely accepted yet. I have enjoyed looking at some of the 3D TVs at Best Buy very much, but I wouldn't buy one!
g-man2
Jul 22, 09:10 PM
Maybe a whole new kind of display using E ink. Sony has something called a Reader that uses it. It draws very little power, none at all if the background is static and unmoving.
Look at it here. http://www.eink.com/
Look at it here. http://www.eink.com/
Warbrain
Nov 7, 08:45 AM
We'll see what happens here eh? If new ones come out than there will be a batch of the old Macbooks on eBay.. no complaints for that
:p
Cheers
Only because people are dumb and think that they always need to be using the best computer. Hate to break it, but the MacBook isn't the best.
:p
Cheers
Only because people are dumb and think that they always need to be using the best computer. Hate to break it, but the MacBook isn't the best.
OllyW
Nov 24, 11:42 AM
I'm curious. Anybody know where all that money goes? How much does Apple (the computer company) get vs. music companies vs. the two remaining Beatles? I heard that Michael Jackson owned the rights to a lot of Beatles songs - and now he's gone too. Any place this can be looked at?
Rich :cool:
Thats a good point! I know Jacko had out bid McCartney on the rights to the Beatles songs but i too wonder who owns them now?
Plus (i could be wrong) Simon "Money Whore" Cowell has his fingers in Sony who co-own the rights to The Beatles catalogue!?
Don't quote me on that.
Sony & the Jackson estate own the publishing rights for a lot of the Beatles songs.
The Beatles and EMI own the recordings.
Sony & Jackson (& Cowell ?) don't make anything from the Beatles sales on iTunes. They do get paid for the performances on the X-Factor (this is shared with the song writers).
The Beatles and EMI are the big winners and Apple haven't done too bad. :)
Rich :cool:
Thats a good point! I know Jacko had out bid McCartney on the rights to the Beatles songs but i too wonder who owns them now?
Plus (i could be wrong) Simon "Money Whore" Cowell has his fingers in Sony who co-own the rights to The Beatles catalogue!?
Don't quote me on that.
Sony & the Jackson estate own the publishing rights for a lot of the Beatles songs.
The Beatles and EMI own the recordings.
Sony & Jackson (& Cowell ?) don't make anything from the Beatles sales on iTunes. They do get paid for the performances on the X-Factor (this is shared with the song writers).
The Beatles and EMI are the big winners and Apple haven't done too bad. :)

2nyRiggz
Sep 12, 03:48 PM
Sure you can...
[I'll post a screen shot whenever attachments are back on-line]
Edit: There we are... :)
Are you streaming that over your network?.....cool...I'll have to try it out when I get out of class...:)
Bless
[I'll post a screen shot whenever attachments are back on-line]
Edit: There we are... :)
Are you streaming that over your network?.....cool...I'll have to try it out when I get out of class...:)
Bless
iGrip
Jul 10, 11:47 AM
That's great. Apple would become the dumbed-down childrens computer company.
In other fora, people say that is a good thing. They go on and on about their stupid neighbor who hates computers and "cannot" use a computer, but who nevertheless loves iOS.
And Apple never made much profit until iOS hit the scene.
Dunno. But if Apple went in that direction, I would be unsurprised. There are a whole lot of naive users with extra bucks to spend on simple stuff.
In other fora, people say that is a good thing. They go on and on about their stupid neighbor who hates computers and "cannot" use a computer, but who nevertheless loves iOS.
And Apple never made much profit until iOS hit the scene.
Dunno. But if Apple went in that direction, I would be unsurprised. There are a whole lot of naive users with extra bucks to spend on simple stuff.

oootle
Sep 12, 03:43 PM
Very dark and dingy interface, reminds me of some audio-editing ap. What happened to the nice white play buttons, and the bright blue scroll bars and music store.
iTunes is now much more accomplished as a sopisticated media ap, but the style really has suffured. Doesn't feel like an Apple product!
iTunes is now much more accomplished as a sopisticated media ap, but the style really has suffured. Doesn't feel like an Apple product!
Keleko
Mar 6, 05:32 PM
I decided on showing dinosaurs. For this particular creature I wanted to see if I could somehow show both the detail in the bones and the size of the creature at the same time. I think I found the only place to frame it that does just that. This thing stretches across the entire atrium. The coloring just "felt right" when I was playing around in aperture with some effects presets I have.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5484205088_bf92012e61_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5484205088/in/set-72157626160204246/)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5484205088_bf92012e61_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22077805@N07/5484205088/in/set-72157626160204246/)
thegreatunknown
Oct 16, 04:01 PM
vitaboy:
I didn't want to write such a long response but you took the words right out of me. THANKS!
I for one think the capability you speak of is on the edge of an announcement and will be the zune spotlight stealer... probably built into this widescreen thing people believe is coming.
I didn't want to write such a long response but you took the words right out of me. THANKS!
I for one think the capability you speak of is on the edge of an announcement and will be the zune spotlight stealer... probably built into this widescreen thing people believe is coming.
RodThePlod
Jul 23, 04:28 AM
I'd rather read normal book. Screens will make your eyes cry.
This is why the content is crucial.
Since April, I have been offering downloadable text-based content for all iPods, (apart from the Shuffle and early models), from my web site.
These are mainly guides that people traveling from place to place would find useful - although I've also got sports guides such as a Wimbledon Tennis guide (which took me ages to create) also available for free download.
I call these Pod SnapShots rather than eBooks because that's what they are - a snapshot of a particular subject that you can flick through quickly to get the information that you need - be that airport guides, store guides, etc.
These are ideally suited to iPods screen size and resolution - any document bigger/longer than that needs a much better screen IMHO - so if these rumors are true it's possible that this new iPod device may be a completely new model focused on documents.
While everyone is focusing on Apple opening a Music Store - they may well be about to pull a fast one and open a Book Store instead! This would be *much* easier technically to implement! ;)
RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
This is why the content is crucial.
Since April, I have been offering downloadable text-based content for all iPods, (apart from the Shuffle and early models), from my web site.
These are mainly guides that people traveling from place to place would find useful - although I've also got sports guides such as a Wimbledon Tennis guide (which took me ages to create) also available for free download.
I call these Pod SnapShots rather than eBooks because that's what they are - a snapshot of a particular subject that you can flick through quickly to get the information that you need - be that airport guides, store guides, etc.
These are ideally suited to iPods screen size and resolution - any document bigger/longer than that needs a much better screen IMHO - so if these rumors are true it's possible that this new iPod device may be a completely new model focused on documents.
While everyone is focusing on Apple opening a Music Store - they may well be about to pull a fast one and open a Book Store instead! This would be *much* easier technically to implement! ;)
RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel
Detlev_73
Oct 15, 04:34 PM
Microsoft has never, does not, and will never make a product with nearly a quarter of the 'cool' factor that Apple does. Microsoft may be the empresarios' top choice, but is dated, dull, dumb. Apple is innovative, young, and sexy.
"We are Apple. We have great products that work out of the box. Our technological distinctiveness will be adopted free of will by all. Resistance is not necessary: you're amazed at us." :rolleyes:
"We are Apple. We have great products that work out of the box. Our technological distinctiveness will be adopted free of will by all. Resistance is not necessary: you're amazed at us." :rolleyes:
XciteMe
Nov 12, 02:30 PM
Paraphrasing: I don't like being told what I can and can't do. :rolleyes:
Paraphrasing: I love shiny Apple products! Apple can do no wrong in my (small, illustrated children's) book!! Go Apple! Death to all naysayers! :rolleyes:
Paraphrasing: I love shiny Apple products! Apple can do no wrong in my (small, illustrated children's) book!! Go Apple! Death to all naysayers! :rolleyes:
Northgrove
May 5, 03:15 AM
Time for the headaches.
I feel sorry for you. :( No one I know suffered from headaches from watching 3D movies.
Having said that, I feel hesitant about this... I haven't been impressed especially by the sharpness that fake 3D can offer. Impression of depth is good enough for me, but the sharpness really sucks. 3D so far completely counters everything that we have worked for to get to HD movies in one blow. It's funny how modern 3D TV's have got to 1080p and all, and then backpedals from all that with blurry 3D movies.
I feel sorry for you. :( No one I know suffered from headaches from watching 3D movies.
Having said that, I feel hesitant about this... I haven't been impressed especially by the sharpness that fake 3D can offer. Impression of depth is good enough for me, but the sharpness really sucks. 3D so far completely counters everything that we have worked for to get to HD movies in one blow. It's funny how modern 3D TV's have got to 1080p and all, and then backpedals from all that with blurry 3D movies.
behindthecamera
Sep 22, 02:28 PM
Well, that was fun. Hit "send" too soon. Where is the Justice Department? This is clearly the anti-competitive raving of a monopolistic entity.

xlii
Jun 25, 04:08 PM
The "natural" way to move a car would be to push it, or maybe attach two horses at the front. The method that we use is quite unnatural. :D
I go back before the mouse... before there were touch screens. We ran and controlled programs by using the keyboard. If you had to move the curser... you used the tab and the arrow keys. One of the programs was a drawing and layout program for circuit board layout and design and schematic capture all rolled into one tool. It was called SUDS (stanford university drawing system). It had a very thick manual and well over 1000 commands to memorize if you were an expert user. I knew maybe 200 and knew where to look in the manual to find something more exotic if needed.
The mouse liberated us from that. Slide down menus full of commands made schematic capture, layout much easier.
IMHO touch is great for a cash register... great for small hand held devices like phones and iPods that are mobile and meant to be held in one hand. But to use a 27" iMac touch screen to me doesn't seem practical or as easy as using a mouse.
I go back before the mouse... before there were touch screens. We ran and controlled programs by using the keyboard. If you had to move the curser... you used the tab and the arrow keys. One of the programs was a drawing and layout program for circuit board layout and design and schematic capture all rolled into one tool. It was called SUDS (stanford university drawing system). It had a very thick manual and well over 1000 commands to memorize if you were an expert user. I knew maybe 200 and knew where to look in the manual to find something more exotic if needed.
The mouse liberated us from that. Slide down menus full of commands made schematic capture, layout much easier.
IMHO touch is great for a cash register... great for small hand held devices like phones and iPods that are mobile and meant to be held in one hand. But to use a 27" iMac touch screen to me doesn't seem practical or as easy as using a mouse.
jimN
Nov 8, 07:49 AM
You got that right. lol
However, due to the almost lack of changes in the MBP, why would the MB get any serious changes other than processor and memory bumps?
I'm not complaining. Truth be told I'd be happy with the GMA but then i'm not in the market for a new comkputer at the minute (as much as i'd love to buy one).
Looks like a slight price drop in the UK - black macbook for under 1000. Bet they shift a lot of units.
However, due to the almost lack of changes in the MBP, why would the MB get any serious changes other than processor and memory bumps?
I'm not complaining. Truth be told I'd be happy with the GMA but then i'm not in the market for a new comkputer at the minute (as much as i'd love to buy one).
Looks like a slight price drop in the UK - black macbook for under 1000. Bet they shift a lot of units.

NYC Russ
Apr 12, 01:07 PM
So explain the 920,000 workers FoxConn employs.
Clearly, something in manufacturing gadgets and electronics, which is FoxConn's primary business, requires a lot of labor or else they wouldn't be employing close to a million people!
Like you, I'm not familiar with the details of their business model. Some of what they manufacture might be labor intensive, and some of it might be built on a robotic assembly line. Trying to figure this out from that Wikipedia article will be nothing but speculation.
Clearly, something in manufacturing gadgets and electronics, which is FoxConn's primary business, requires a lot of labor or else they wouldn't be employing close to a million people!
Like you, I'm not familiar with the details of their business model. Some of what they manufacture might be labor intensive, and some of it might be built on a robotic assembly line. Trying to figure this out from that Wikipedia article will be nothing but speculation.
6-0 Prolene
Mar 13, 08:49 AM
well i dont think mbp and ipads have the same market.. and anyway i would never buy an ipad until i see it in a shop and i can try it..i don tthink they r goign to sell that many ipads now but well who knows
hopefully next tuesday
Are you kidding? They're already running out of the pre-orders. Demand is clearly outstripping supply for the iPads and they're not even released yet.
I do think, though, that releasing some new MBPs and MPs would be a nice way to assuage the disgruntled pre-orderers of the iPad when they get told they can't pre-order.
hopefully next tuesday
Are you kidding? They're already running out of the pre-orders. Demand is clearly outstripping supply for the iPads and they're not even released yet.
I do think, though, that releasing some new MBPs and MPs would be a nice way to assuage the disgruntled pre-orderers of the iPad when they get told they can't pre-order.
pdxflint
Mar 8, 06:23 AM
One of the Mac screen savers will do mosaics of photos from a folder... it's kind of cool to watch them zoom out into a mosaic, but can get hypnotic... ;)
Mine for today... from last summer's archives, since I've been somewhat dormant the last couple of weeks or so...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4958342664_17b73f1cd7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdxflint/4958342664/sizes/l)
D300, 17-55f/2.8 @ 55mm, f/3.5, 1/640, ISO200
Mine for today... from last summer's archives, since I've been somewhat dormant the last couple of weeks or so...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4958342664_17b73f1cd7_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdxflint/4958342664/sizes/l)
D300, 17-55f/2.8 @ 55mm, f/3.5, 1/640, ISO200
lharvest
Mar 8, 01:13 PM
Testing a lens out on the neighbor's dog...
Source
Oct 14, 04:23 PM
Remember something, Nipsy, i'm on your side here. I want Apple to do well just as much as you do. I just happen to believe that Apple needs to do it in a different way than you and I don't know why you needed to take this argument to insults, other than some need to always believe that you are right.
benixau made a rash reply, without reading my posts and believed that i hate Macs, because he was blindly supporting Apple, just as you are.
"Now, I'd love if you could quote an insult from me."
That wasn't actually directed towards you.
"I'm intelligent enough to know that Apple does not have the market cap to fully control their chip evolution, and you, it seems, are not."
There you go.
"No, but you suggested that we should rally around some cause (design chips, boycott Apple, etc.) and vocalize. "
Where did i say we should design chips or boycott Apple? Now you're just liying and it's no wonder you have come to your conclusions, considering you fabricate things like this.
"When we started this argument, I observed..."
This is exactly my point! We are suggesting virtually the same thing, except you are fabricating arguments for some reason that i can't understand, unless you simply "like the sound of your own voice" as it were.
"Without you, I'm sure they'd be gunning to slow things down. I'm sure you'll be back to tell us how this 1.8 GHz 64 bit Power4 derivative is slow compared to the 3.8 GHz PIV next year."
Yes, that's very intelligent. [/sarcasm] See i can do it too! I wasn't saying that my suggestion in any way influences Apple, and if you were so intelligent, you would have known that.
This is the exact reason i suggested that people let Apple know what they want. A company, one that wants to stay in business at least, will not completely ignore its customers and if you let them know what you want in large numbers, you may well get it.
If anyone has demonstrated lack of intelligence in this whole thread, Nipsy, it's you. You lie and misinterpret peoples posts in order to get your points across. Which, in the end, seem to be incredibly similar to the very points that you are dismissing.
I'll say it again, take your arguments elsewhere, as someone who lies, misinterprets people's posts and more importantly seems to simply want to fire up an argument that isn't there, as you do, is pointless in discussing anything with.
If you are intelligent, as you so call yourself, i fear for society.
benixau made a rash reply, without reading my posts and believed that i hate Macs, because he was blindly supporting Apple, just as you are.
"Now, I'd love if you could quote an insult from me."
That wasn't actually directed towards you.
"I'm intelligent enough to know that Apple does not have the market cap to fully control their chip evolution, and you, it seems, are not."
There you go.
"No, but you suggested that we should rally around some cause (design chips, boycott Apple, etc.) and vocalize. "
Where did i say we should design chips or boycott Apple? Now you're just liying and it's no wonder you have come to your conclusions, considering you fabricate things like this.
"When we started this argument, I observed..."
This is exactly my point! We are suggesting virtually the same thing, except you are fabricating arguments for some reason that i can't understand, unless you simply "like the sound of your own voice" as it were.
"Without you, I'm sure they'd be gunning to slow things down. I'm sure you'll be back to tell us how this 1.8 GHz 64 bit Power4 derivative is slow compared to the 3.8 GHz PIV next year."
Yes, that's very intelligent. [/sarcasm] See i can do it too! I wasn't saying that my suggestion in any way influences Apple, and if you were so intelligent, you would have known that.
This is the exact reason i suggested that people let Apple know what they want. A company, one that wants to stay in business at least, will not completely ignore its customers and if you let them know what you want in large numbers, you may well get it.
If anyone has demonstrated lack of intelligence in this whole thread, Nipsy, it's you. You lie and misinterpret peoples posts in order to get your points across. Which, in the end, seem to be incredibly similar to the very points that you are dismissing.
I'll say it again, take your arguments elsewhere, as someone who lies, misinterprets people's posts and more importantly seems to simply want to fire up an argument that isn't there, as you do, is pointless in discussing anything with.
If you are intelligent, as you so call yourself, i fear for society.
iStudentUK
Apr 4, 03:02 PM
A child does not naturally grow up to be socially responsible or kind. They naturally grow up to be self-centered and violent unless a parent or authority teaches them otherwise.
As negative as I think religion can be, it has set a code of conduct for people that enables cooperation and empathy for others. Although we don't need religion to teach people morals, we need some agreed upon code of conduct.
You might say that the laws of a country serve that purpose, but they don't. They are simply rules everyone must follow and any despotic ruler can set awful laws that can hurt people. Therefore, the code of conduct has to be separate from the law.
If atheism has any future, its needs some type of unified, agreed upon code.
Religion doesn't have an agreed upon code of conduct. Morals don't stem from religion! People use their morals to pick the best bits of religion to act on. Morals are actually much deeper than that- some other primates have been shown to exhibit different levels of morality.
As negative as I think religion can be, it has set a code of conduct for people that enables cooperation and empathy for others. Although we don't need religion to teach people morals, we need some agreed upon code of conduct.
You might say that the laws of a country serve that purpose, but they don't. They are simply rules everyone must follow and any despotic ruler can set awful laws that can hurt people. Therefore, the code of conduct has to be separate from the law.
If atheism has any future, its needs some type of unified, agreed upon code.
Religion doesn't have an agreed upon code of conduct. Morals don't stem from religion! People use their morals to pick the best bits of religion to act on. Morals are actually much deeper than that- some other primates have been shown to exhibit different levels of morality.
No comments:
Post a Comment