immig4me
11-03 10:08 AM
I don't care much for either party, but I do find "talking points" abhorring as it never considers the practical matters...........
What is it about the immigration debate that makes Republicans in Congress act like children?
In the latest stunt, all seven Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee - Charles Grassley, Jon Kyl, John Cornyn, Orrin Hatch, Lindsey Graham, Tom Coburn and Jeff Sessions - have signed a letter asking Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to "detail exactly how much funding" would be needed to "ensure that enforcement of the law occurs consistently for every illegal alien encountered and apprehended."
The answer: A lot.
John Morton, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told me that Congress appropriates $2.6 billion each year for the detention and removal of illegal immigrants.
According to Morton, ICE is able to apprehend, process and remove a maximum of about 400,000 immigrants per year. (From October 2009 to September 2010, the Obama administration deported 392,862 people.) This is a record, and yet still only a fraction of the estimated 10.3 million illegal immigrants living in the United States.
So to remove 10 million illegal immigrants, it would cost about $65 billion.
There you go, senators. Will that be cash or charge?
Of course, there are also the ancillary costs. First, if the federal government were to cast the net wide enough to apprehend large numbers of suspected illegal immigrants, perhaps by substituting skin color for probable cause (see: Arizona), it's likely to ensnare a good number of U.S.-born Latinos who would probably file a flurry of lawsuits for racial profiling, and thus run up the tab. Second, in the time that it takes to detect, detain and deport 10 million illegal immigrants, many of those who had already been removed would come back - and then have to be re-deported at an additional cost. And third, by spending that much more money on enforcement, federal immigration officials would surely inspire smugglers on the other side of the border to raise their prices. This would only enrich and empower the bad guys to bring in still more illegal immigrants.
Then, there is another problem. As incredible as it sounds, deporting millions of illegal immigrants would be disruptive to Americans' way of life. As Morton pointed out, there would likely be massive and debilitating labor shortages, especially in those industries that currently depend more heavily than they should on illegal immigrant labor.
"No one is talking about letting people go on their way with no punishment whatsoever," Morton said. "But we need a rational discussion of the proper sanction in light of the circumstances."
Republicans are really in no position to talk about seriousness. When serious leadership is called for, they offer only theatrics and chest-thumping. They have to realize that, as a practical matter, ICE can't deport every illegal immigrant it comes in contact with. But they don't care. They only want attention.
The GOP has a lot invested in spinning the yarn that the border can be secured and millions of illegal immigrants expelled through a strategy of enforcement only. Once you adopt this line of thinking, the way to explain the fact that there are still millions of illegal immigrants in the United States is to somehow argue that the Obama administration has been slow to deport them.
This was a harmless delusion when Republicans were in the minority in Congress. But now that they are gaining seats, it could become a real nuisance as politicians proceed to lecture law enforcement officials about the best way to enforce the law.
As the country's top immigration enforcement official, Morton is critical of an enforcement-only approach.
"You have to be much more precise than simply saying 'deport them all'," he said. "That kind of attitude doesn't make sense in the context of how you deal with 10.3 million people."
There you have it. Right on cue, seven Republican senators have stopped making sense.
Read more: Republicans can't talk about immigration enforcement (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/02/EDL11G5MD9.DTL#ixzz14ETlnYgq)
Republicans can't talk about immigration enforcement (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/02/EDL11G5MD9.DTL)
What is it about the immigration debate that makes Republicans in Congress act like children?
In the latest stunt, all seven Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee - Charles Grassley, Jon Kyl, John Cornyn, Orrin Hatch, Lindsey Graham, Tom Coburn and Jeff Sessions - have signed a letter asking Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to "detail exactly how much funding" would be needed to "ensure that enforcement of the law occurs consistently for every illegal alien encountered and apprehended."
The answer: A lot.
John Morton, director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told me that Congress appropriates $2.6 billion each year for the detention and removal of illegal immigrants.
According to Morton, ICE is able to apprehend, process and remove a maximum of about 400,000 immigrants per year. (From October 2009 to September 2010, the Obama administration deported 392,862 people.) This is a record, and yet still only a fraction of the estimated 10.3 million illegal immigrants living in the United States.
So to remove 10 million illegal immigrants, it would cost about $65 billion.
There you go, senators. Will that be cash or charge?
Of course, there are also the ancillary costs. First, if the federal government were to cast the net wide enough to apprehend large numbers of suspected illegal immigrants, perhaps by substituting skin color for probable cause (see: Arizona), it's likely to ensnare a good number of U.S.-born Latinos who would probably file a flurry of lawsuits for racial profiling, and thus run up the tab. Second, in the time that it takes to detect, detain and deport 10 million illegal immigrants, many of those who had already been removed would come back - and then have to be re-deported at an additional cost. And third, by spending that much more money on enforcement, federal immigration officials would surely inspire smugglers on the other side of the border to raise their prices. This would only enrich and empower the bad guys to bring in still more illegal immigrants.
Then, there is another problem. As incredible as it sounds, deporting millions of illegal immigrants would be disruptive to Americans' way of life. As Morton pointed out, there would likely be massive and debilitating labor shortages, especially in those industries that currently depend more heavily than they should on illegal immigrant labor.
"No one is talking about letting people go on their way with no punishment whatsoever," Morton said. "But we need a rational discussion of the proper sanction in light of the circumstances."
Republicans are really in no position to talk about seriousness. When serious leadership is called for, they offer only theatrics and chest-thumping. They have to realize that, as a practical matter, ICE can't deport every illegal immigrant it comes in contact with. But they don't care. They only want attention.
The GOP has a lot invested in spinning the yarn that the border can be secured and millions of illegal immigrants expelled through a strategy of enforcement only. Once you adopt this line of thinking, the way to explain the fact that there are still millions of illegal immigrants in the United States is to somehow argue that the Obama administration has been slow to deport them.
This was a harmless delusion when Republicans were in the minority in Congress. But now that they are gaining seats, it could become a real nuisance as politicians proceed to lecture law enforcement officials about the best way to enforce the law.
As the country's top immigration enforcement official, Morton is critical of an enforcement-only approach.
"You have to be much more precise than simply saying 'deport them all'," he said. "That kind of attitude doesn't make sense in the context of how you deal with 10.3 million people."
There you have it. Right on cue, seven Republican senators have stopped making sense.
Read more: Republicans can't talk about immigration enforcement (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/02/EDL11G5MD9.DTL#ixzz14ETlnYgq)
Republicans can't talk about immigration enforcement (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/02/EDL11G5MD9.DTL)
wallpaper umbrella-ella-ella anyday.
mrajatish
07-02 09:58 AM
Stop replying to this guy - focus on something more meaningful.
IAspire
02-20 11:54 PM
Hi All
I am very confused with the entire Green Card process. Any help will be much appreciated. I will give a background.
I have an experience of almost 6 years and work in an reputed Indian IT firm on H1B for a US bank. I am working in US on H1B for past 4 years. My wife is doing an MBA from a reputed US university on H4 visa.
What Employment Based Green Card category am I eligible for? How long does it take to get EAD approval from the beginning of the process? Can my wife work only after the EAD is approved?
Regards
IAspire
I am very confused with the entire Green Card process. Any help will be much appreciated. I will give a background.
I have an experience of almost 6 years and work in an reputed Indian IT firm on H1B for a US bank. I am working in US on H1B for past 4 years. My wife is doing an MBA from a reputed US university on H4 visa.
What Employment Based Green Card category am I eligible for? How long does it take to get EAD approval from the beginning of the process? Can my wife work only after the EAD is approved?
Regards
IAspire
2011 Since Umbrella however, there
Suva
11-12 04:17 PM
Don't give any suggestion on which you don't have any clear knowledge.
"LostInGCProcess" is right in his answer. Visa does not decide duration of stay in US. Duration of a visa is the time when you can enter US legally. But the person's stay in US is decided by I-94 at port of entry. I have seen quite a few people coming here in US with visa expiring within a month but got I-94 for a duration of 3 to 6 months.
The VO gives I-94 only up to the expiry of visa period. Its rare to see someone gives I-94 beyond the expiry date of visa. There is a risk involved.
When you have 10 years visa, they give 2 months and 4 months many times, I don't expect them giving gifts to visitors.
"LostInGCProcess" is right in his answer. Visa does not decide duration of stay in US. Duration of a visa is the time when you can enter US legally. But the person's stay in US is decided by I-94 at port of entry. I have seen quite a few people coming here in US with visa expiring within a month but got I-94 for a duration of 3 to 6 months.
The VO gives I-94 only up to the expiry of visa period. Its rare to see someone gives I-94 beyond the expiry date of visa. There is a risk involved.
When you have 10 years visa, they give 2 months and 4 months many times, I don't expect them giving gifts to visitors.
more...
ss777
02-12 06:54 AM
Is your I-140 at TSC? Do you have any other I-140 or I-485 pending/Approved at TSC? They may be trying to consolidate all the cases.
ujjvalkoul
07-19 11:24 AM
Calculations do not matter. Its all politics. US Govt is playing us for fools. They will manipulate the numbers to suit themselves as and when they wish.
more...
forever
07-27 03:46 PM
Can I interfile even if PD is unavailable?
No. At the time of interfiling, the priority date should be current.
No. At the time of interfiling, the priority date should be current.
2010 Jay-Z: God#39;s Child or the
monkeyman
09-27 03:36 PM
It takes 15 minutes at Boston ASC and you are expected to arrive 5 minutes before appointment just so that you can fill up a form. And you can take any copy so long as it has your name , Case # and A# on it. Its a simple process - no sweat!!!
more...
perm2gc
06-23 05:49 PM
If a person tests positive for TB and the chest X-Ray also shows signs of TB the USCIS doctor will send us to the county doctor's office. If they also determine positive result we wil have to start the medication.
1) So with the dates becoming current on July 01 2007 can a person apply for I-485 or wait till the medication is completed?
2) Also how long does the medication take?
Thanks
1. You cannot apply without medical record.
2. 9 months is the course time for TB medication.
1) So with the dates becoming current on July 01 2007 can a person apply for I-485 or wait till the medication is completed?
2) Also how long does the medication take?
Thanks
1. You cannot apply without medical record.
2. 9 months is the course time for TB medication.
hair chris Rihanna+devil+pose
vxg
12-31 01:57 PM
See my answers. WE just came back on AP, no issues.
I am July 2 filer and have EAD card for myself and mywife. We are planning to go to INDIA for 30 days. I have H1B extended until 2010 but H1B STAMP is expired in passport. I have following questions:
1. Should I apply for AP for both of us?
YES
2. If we have AP documents for both of us, Do we need to have NEW H1B STAMP in passport?
NO
3. When you aboard in flight from INDIA, do they question for expired H1B VISA stamp in the passport? What document we need to show them at that time?
In my case (we just returned on AP) the IO at Chicago did not take us to a room. He stamped AP thereon the counter, kept one copy and returned other to me. Carry all three copies of AP along with a photocopy.
Your help is greatly appericated.
Thank you.
I am July 2 filer and have EAD card for myself and mywife. We are planning to go to INDIA for 30 days. I have H1B extended until 2010 but H1B STAMP is expired in passport. I have following questions:
1. Should I apply for AP for both of us?
YES
2. If we have AP documents for both of us, Do we need to have NEW H1B STAMP in passport?
NO
3. When you aboard in flight from INDIA, do they question for expired H1B VISA stamp in the passport? What document we need to show them at that time?
In my case (we just returned on AP) the IO at Chicago did not take us to a room. He stamped AP thereon the counter, kept one copy and returned other to me. Carry all three copies of AP along with a photocopy.
Your help is greatly appericated.
Thank you.
more...

paskal
12-01 10:13 AM
I believe no group is formed for TN. I am requesting people to reply so that we can count and form something.
Thanks
Hello,
We can help you but the first step is to complete your profile
Also I suggest you start by joining the GA chapter, you will get some help from them.
Thanks
Hello,
We can help you but the first step is to complete your profile
Also I suggest you start by joining the GA chapter, you will get some help from them.
hot He#39;ll spend 180 days doing
kokil
05-17 04:57 PM
But does she got 3 years while transferring H1? Is she transfer through a startup company?
-jignesh
-jignesh
more...
house Rihanna+baphomet+ring
LostInGCProcess
11-07 11:51 AM
Hi,
We have applied for AP on Oct 1st and its still pending .
I have the following questions.
1) Can we enter using the AP thats gets approved when we are outside the US
2) How to expedite AP process other then business emergency as my wife is not working
3) can she enter using H4 even though she has used AP and EAD before. is there any problem to GC
4) I am going to India in Dec , assuming I get the AP by then is it ok for her to enter using h4 and myself AP.
Thanks in Advance for your suggestions
1) No.
2) Other then an Emergency you can't expedite.
3) If you are currently on H1, then she can enter on H4.
4) Same answer as above. You can enter on AP, and if you continue to maintain H1 status, then she can enter on H4.
We have applied for AP on Oct 1st and its still pending .
I have the following questions.
1) Can we enter using the AP thats gets approved when we are outside the US
2) How to expedite AP process other then business emergency as my wife is not working
3) can she enter using H4 even though she has used AP and EAD before. is there any problem to GC
4) I am going to India in Dec , assuming I get the AP by then is it ok for her to enter using h4 and myself AP.
Thanks in Advance for your suggestions
1) No.
2) Other then an Emergency you can't expedite.
3) If you are currently on H1, then she can enter on H4.
4) Same answer as above. You can enter on AP, and if you continue to maintain H1 status, then she can enter on H4.
tattoo Remember the umbrella song.
glus
11-06 02:34 PM
Does she have EAD? If not on H1, she needs to be in EAD. (or other status like F1 etc). Otherwise she is out of status. In that case, H1 will be denied because an H1 application while out of status will lead to denial.
She is not out of status. A person who filed I485 can not be out of status. Her status is "adjustee - AOS pending". Thanx.
She is not out of status. A person who filed I485 can not be out of status. Her status is "adjustee - AOS pending". Thanx.
more...
pictures Rihanna, to illuminati signs,umbrella,rihanna,jay beadles favourited a productions is Video+illuminati+signs+umbrella+rihanna+jay+z
jayleno
04-25 07:11 PM
Hi,
I think you should be fine. Like everyone tells...in such case an attorney is the best person to contact. Take a second opinion also. If you need something before that to calm you down...here is what I think. You are only counted towards the cap once in 6 years. So you can get another h-1 with a new company based on this approval and you are not subject to cap this time. You need to be employed once your h-1 starts. So you have time till then.
I think you should be fine. Like everyone tells...in such case an attorney is the best person to contact. Take a second opinion also. If you need something before that to calm you down...here is what I think. You are only counted towards the cap once in 6 years. So you can get another h-1 with a new company based on this approval and you are not subject to cap this time. You need to be employed once your h-1 starts. So you have time till then.
dresses the hairdo Rihanna+demon
AZ_GC
08-28 04:45 PM
Hello fellow IV members,
I am hoping to port to a new job using AC21. I contacted my attorney with various questions about the process, but she told me that she can not respond to my questions because she represents me as well as the current company I work for. For those of you who are looking to port or have already done so, did you face a similar situation - where your attorney could not advise and assist you through the process of porting? How did you resolve this situation? Did you have to find another attorney to help you with porting to a new job?
Thanks for your help.
This holds true for 95% of the attorneys. They will give you a "conflict of interest" answer if you try to Invoke AC21
I am hoping to port to a new job using AC21. I contacted my attorney with various questions about the process, but she told me that she can not respond to my questions because she represents me as well as the current company I work for. For those of you who are looking to port or have already done so, did you face a similar situation - where your attorney could not advise and assist you through the process of porting? How did you resolve this situation? Did you have to find another attorney to help you with porting to a new job?
Thanks for your help.
This holds true for 95% of the attorneys. They will give you a "conflict of interest" answer if you try to Invoke AC21
more...
makeup Rihanna
valuablehurdle
09-11 04:15 PM
http://www.livemint.com/2007/09/11122655/Indian-IT-professionals-in-US.html
girlfriend the face, bit her fingers
gjoe
03-29 06:23 PM
I would suggest having a potluck in front of capitol and also see the cherry blossom in the evening. If possible a boating ride can be squeezed in.
This would make a statement that we are well off and out only problem is the delay in GC
This would make a statement that we are well off and out only problem is the delay in GC
hairstyles Umbrella
mp70
07-19 08:15 AM
It is good to carry all possible documents. However for extensions they just check the I-797 along with the DS-156 and 157. They did not ask any other document. Hope this helped. Regards - MP70.
wheretogo
12-08 11:55 PM
I am also in Minneapolis.
amenon
05-01 05:38 PM
Hi,
Note: I have already posted this on the "Ask an attorney" forum, but I would also like some input from the experts here.
Thanks.
Onto the issue:
My wife(on H4, no 485 filed) is going to be out of the US for the next couple of months and I need to know the effect of my 485 PD becoming current (and approved) during this time. The following are the details of the situation.
My 485 is pending with a PD of Dec 06 and I am on an H1B visa. The 485 was filed before I got married, so my wife is currently on an H4 and has not been able to file her I485. She will be traveling outside the US for the next couple of months. From the visa bulletins I have been seeing over the last couple of months, it looks like there is a slim chance that my PD will be current.
One of the options as I understand is that she could travel back as soon as the PD's are announced and if we know that the PD will be current in the next month. At this point she could file her I485.
My question is about what the options are if she is unable to make it back to the US in time. i.e. she is outside the US and my I485 is approved which means she cannot travel back on the H4 (as its not valid). What are the timelines we will have to deal with if she has to stay outside the US to have her I485 equivalent filed through a consulate? Is there anyway she can travel to the US once my 485 is approved?
Thanks.
Note: I have already posted this on the "Ask an attorney" forum, but I would also like some input from the experts here.
Thanks.
Onto the issue:
My wife(on H4, no 485 filed) is going to be out of the US for the next couple of months and I need to know the effect of my 485 PD becoming current (and approved) during this time. The following are the details of the situation.
My 485 is pending with a PD of Dec 06 and I am on an H1B visa. The 485 was filed before I got married, so my wife is currently on an H4 and has not been able to file her I485. She will be traveling outside the US for the next couple of months. From the visa bulletins I have been seeing over the last couple of months, it looks like there is a slim chance that my PD will be current.
One of the options as I understand is that she could travel back as soon as the PD's are announced and if we know that the PD will be current in the next month. At this point she could file her I485.
My question is about what the options are if she is unable to make it back to the US in time. i.e. she is outside the US and my I485 is approved which means she cannot travel back on the H4 (as its not valid). What are the timelines we will have to deal with if she has to stay outside the US to have her I485 equivalent filed through a consulate? Is there anyway she can travel to the US once my 485 is approved?
Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment